Beware of Algae This Summer!
Hot weather can bring potentially dangerous Algae:
Blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, are a group of bacteria that can contain dangerous toxins which can be harmful and potentially fatal to pets, livestock and birds if ingested even in small quantities.
To protect your dog from algae-related dangers, it's essential to keep them away from bodies of water that show signs of algal blooms or contain visible algae. Always provide fresh and clean drinking water for your dog during outdoor activities, and promptly rinse off their fur if they come into contact with water that may be contaminated. If you suspect your dog has been exposed to algae or is showing any symptoms of algae poisoning, seek immediate veterinary care.
- Keep pets on a lead and by your side around water bodies known or suspected to have a blue-green algal bloom – don’t let pets swim in it or drink from it.
- If your dog has been swimming outside, wash its coat thoroughly with clean water afterwards.
- Seek emergency veterinary treatment if you’re concerned your pet may have ingested toxic algae.
- Report sightings of suspected blue-green algae with a photograph via the Bloomin' Algae app. You can also set up notifications for confirmed sightings in your area.